US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired

US Military Newspaper Editor Voices Censorship Fears After Being Fired

BBC Homepage

Skip to content

Accessibility Help

Your account

Home

News

Sport

Earth

Reel

Worklife

Travel

Culture

Future

Music

TV

Weather

Sounds

More menu

More menu

Search BBC

Home

News

Climate

World

UK

Business

Tech

Science

Entertainment & Arts

Health

In Pictures

More

BBC Verify

Newsbeat

World

Africa

Asia

Australia

Europe

Latin America

Middle East

US & Canada

US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

This video cannot be played

Figure caption: Watch: Stars and Stripes editor Erik Slavin speaks to the BBC after his dismissal

By

Jamie Whitehead

and

Paulin Kola

Published

5 hours ago

The editor-in-chief of US military newspaper Stars and Stripes has told the BBC of his concern over censorship a day after being dismissed by the US Department of Defense (DoD) for "insubordination".

"This is a time when we really need to hear what's happening," Erik Slavin said, adding that Pentagon officials appeared to be "less and less inclined to speak on the record".

Slavin says he believes he was fired for having stated in an interview that "in a hypothetical situation, censorship would be a red line". A reporter and the paper's publisher were also sacked.

The Pentagon told the BBC it would not comment. But the sackings come amid tension between the Trump administration and the US media.

Image source:

Getty Images

Image caption:

Stars and Stripes provides news to US troops around the world

Even though partially funded by the Pentagon, Stars and Stripes has been editorially independent - through a congressional mandate and DoD rules.

The newspaper's Middle East reporter Lara Korte said she had also been told she was fired.

Both Slavin and Korte say their dismissals - both for insubordination - relate to an interview they gave to CBS's Sunday Morning programme last month, according to the BBC's US partner CBS News.

Stars and Stripes reported that publisher Max Lederer was also fired.

He had announced his retirement on Tuesday, saying his understanding of the paper's value and mission differed in "fundamental ways" from the Pentagon's plans for the publication.

Slavin, who has worked for the paper for 21 years, told the PM programme that he had not been given an official explanation for his dismissal - and was considering his response even though he was not allowed to appeal.

He said he did not know if it had to do with his paper's original reporting of conditions aboard USS Abraham Lincoln - the warship which has been deployed in the Gulf for months as the US-Israeli war with Iran continues.

The vessel has spent a record-setting uninterrupted time at sea of more than 240 days and family members of sailors aboard have expressed concern about their mental health, with some sailors having reportedly attempted to jump overboard.

But Slavin said his dismissal came in a climate where the Pentagon had not had a press conference since May, and where journalists had refused attempts to interfere with their reporting.

For her part, Korte wrote on X: "It's a shame for the institution and service members, who swore to defend the Constitution and deserve the right to a free and independent press."

The president of the National Press Club, Mark Schoeff Jr, described Slavin's firing as "another brazen attempt by the Pentagon to dictate coverage of the military and should be immediately reversed".

An average of 1.4 million people consume Stars and Stripes's content daily, mostly online, according to CBS.

The paper is still printed outside the US for members of the military in places with unreliable internet access.

In October, leading US news outlets rejected a new policy which barred journalists from entering the building unless they only reported information officially authorized.