US Condemns ‘Unnecessary Escalation’ After Israeli Airstrikes on Syrian Airbase
BBC Homepage
Skip to content
Accessibility Help
Your account
Home
News
Sport
Earth
Reel
Worklife
Travel
Culture
Future
Music
TV
Weather
Sounds
More menu
More menu
Search BBC
Home
News
Sport
Earth
Reel
Worklife
Travel
Culture
Future
Music
TV
Weather
Sounds
Close menu
BBC News
Menu
Home
Climate
World
UK
Business
Tech
Science
Entertainment & Arts
Health
In Pictures
More
BBC Verify
Newsbeat
World
Africa
Asia
Australia
Europe
Latin America
Middle East
US & Canada
US condemns ‘unnecessary escalation’ after Israeli airstrikes on Syrian airbase
Image source:
Anadolu via Getty Images
Image caption:
Abu Duhur military base captured by anti-Assad forces in December 2024
By Harry Sekulich
Published 8 hours ago
The United States has issued a rare rebuke of Israel after reports emerged it struck a Syrian military airbase near the Turkish border, calling the attack an "unnecessary escalation".
Eight airstrikes hit the Abu Duhur airport runway and storage facility on Tuesday, according to Syrian state TV, although there were no reports of injuries.
Israel, while not commenting directly on the strikes, said Syria "was on the verge of breaching" the security status quo, accusing Damascus of allowing Turkish troops to deploy to the airbase.
Syria and Turkey blamed the Israeli military for the attacks that they said threaten to escalate tensions in the region.
Tom Barrack, the US ambassador in Turkey, who was also appointed as Donald Trump’s special envoy for Syria and Iraq, criticised the attacks in a statement posted on social media.
"We are deeply concerned that the confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Airbase constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability," Barrack wrote on X.
The office of Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu published a statement: "Israel and Syria agreed to a status quo in security matters, which Syria was on the verge of breaching by permitting Turkish troops to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo."
Syria’s foreign ministry called the attacks "an unjustified act of aggression" imperilling regional "security and stability".
Turkey, meanwhile, did not confirm whether any of its troops moved to the Abu Duhur airbase, which sits 70km from the Turkish border. However, Ankara rejected Israel’s suggestion that it posed a threat.
"The frivolous allegations put forward by the Israeli Prime Minister’s office aim to legitimize Israel’s unlawful airstrikes targeting Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity," Turkey’s Communications Directorate said in a statement quoted by the Anadolu state news agency.
Abu Duhur has been out of service as a dedicated military airfield since 2013. Rebel forces seized control of the base as they swept through the country in December 2024. Syria has been trying to rebuild its military facilities that were damaged during the blitz offensive that saw Bashar al-Assad’s government overthrown within two weeks.
The Turkish military has provided assistance to Syria since the overthrow of Assad, while Israel continues to view both countries with deep suspicion.
Israel has carried out airstrikes on parts of central and southern Syria since Al-Sharaa came to power, with the latest strikes being the most significant since March.
Barrack said that Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, who led the rebel forces against Assad, "has neither adopted nor maintained proxy forces" and "repeatedly indicated a preference for de-escalation with Israel".
The US would continue to offer to host diplomatic discussions between both sides to address "kinetic frustrations", Barrack added.
Al-Sharaa has forged closer ties with the west since coming to power, particularly the US – signified when he became the first Syrian leader to visit the White House in November last year.