Rescuers dig through Ukraine mall wreckage as Zelensky condemns ‘despicable’ strike
British Broadcasting Corporation
- Skip to content
- Register
- Sign In
News
US & Canada
UK
UK Politics
England
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland Politics
Scotland
Scotland Politics
Wales
Wales Politics
Africa
Asia
China
India
Australia
Europe
Latin America
Middle East
In Pictures
- BBC InDepth
- BBC Verify
Sport
Business
World of Business
- Technology of Business
- NYSE Opening Bell
Technology
- Artificial Intelligence
- Intelligence Revolution
- AI v the Mind
- Tech Now
Health
Culture
- Film & TV
- Music
- Art & Design
- Style
- Books
- Entertainment News
Arts
- Arts in Motion
Travel
- Destinations
- Africa
- Antarctica
- Asia
- Australia and Pacific
- Caribbean & Bermuda
- Central America
- Europe
- Middle East
- North America
- South America
Earth
- Science
- Natural Wonders
- Climate Solutions
- Sustainable Business
- Green Living
Audio
- Podcast Categories
- Radio
- Audio FAQs
Video
- BBC Maestro
- Discover the World
Live
- Live News
- Live Sport
Weather
Newsletters
Rescuers in Ukraine worked through the night to search for survivors in the wreckage of a shopping centre hit by a deadly Russian double-tap drone strike.
- Sixteen people were killed and 130 injured in the busy mall in Kryvyi Rih on Friday, local officials said.
- Nine people are reportedly still missing, including two children.
President Volodymyr Zelensky said the "cynical and despicable" attack was carried out in two waves, with the second strike targeting emergency workers at the scene.
Both sides meanwhile continued to trade strikes overnight, with Ukrainian attacks said to have killed at least four people in Russia, including two children, and two people reported dead by Kyiv.
The death toll from Friday’s attack reached 16 after another body was retrieved from the rubble overnight, said regional military head Oleksandr Hanzha.
Twenty-three children were among those injured in the shopping centre in the Dnipropetrovsk region, 14 of whom were among dozens of survivors still in hospital as of Saturday morning.
"Twenty-three [people] are in serious and extremely serious conditions, including three children – two boys aged 10 and 16 and an 11-year-old girl," said Oleksandr Vilkul, head of the city’s defence council.
"All have undergone surgery, doctors are providing them with all the necessary assistance."
Dramatic footage verified by the BBC showed the second drone hitting the already burning mall in Zelensky’s hometown. Russia’s military has not commented.
Vilkul said the drones had been flying at "extremely low altitudes", describing the attackers as "animals".
Rescue teams from seven other Ukrainian regions were urgently deployed to help search for survivors.
As rescue efforts continued early on Saturday, Zelensky said there had been "missile and drone strikes throughout the evening and night" across Ukraine, with residential buildings and civilian infrastructure damaged.
He said one person was killed and another injured after ballistic missile strikes damaged railway infrastructure in the capital Kyiv, while three people were injured by a "brutal" drone strike on a city minibus in the southern city of Zaporizhzhia.
Regional officials earlier said at least one person had been killed by a Russian drone strike.
Meanwhile, Russia’s defence ministry said it downed a total of 457 Ukrainian drones overn