Mateta claims final year of Palace deal is invalid

Jean-Philippe Mateta: Crystal Palace Striker Says Final Year of Deal is Invalid – BBC Sport

BBC Homepage | Skip to content | Accessibility Help

Your account | Home | News | Sport | Earth | Reel | Worklife | Travel | Culture | Future | Music | TV | Weather | Sounds | More menu | Search BBC

BBC Sport

  • Home
  • Football
  • Cricket
  • Formula 1
  • Rugby U
  • Tennis
  • Golf
  • Cycling
  • Athletics
  • More
  • A-Z Sports
  • American Football
  • Athletics
  • Basketball
  • Boxing
  • Cricket
  • Cycling
  • Darts
  • Disability Sport
  • Football
  • Formula 1
  • Gaelic Games
  • Golf
  • Gymnastics
  • Horse Racing
  • Mixed Martial Arts
  • Motorsport
  • Netball
  • Rugby League
  • Rugby Union
  • Snooker
  • Swimming
  • Tennis
  • Full Sports A-Z
  • More from Sport

England | Scotland | Wales | Northern Ireland

Quizzes | News Feeds | Help & FAQs


Crystal Palace

  • Scores & Fixtures
  • Table
  • Live Match Updates
  • Transfers
  • Ask Me Anything

Mateta claims final year of his Crystal Palace contract is invalid

Image source: Getty Images

Image caption: Jean-Philippe Mateta’s Crystal Palace contract runs until June 2027

By Sami Mokbel | Senior Football Correspondent | Published 21 minutes ago

Jean-Philippe Mateta is arguing that the remainder of his Crystal Palace contract is invalid and has taken his case to Fifa.

Multiple sources have told BBC Sport that the France international has launched an official challenge over the validity of the final 10 months on his Selhurst Park deal, which expires in June 2027.

Mateta, who started Palace’s Premier League opener at Everton on Saturday, signed for the club in 2021 from Mainz 05, initially on an 18-month loan. He signed a four-and-a-half year contract when joining permanently in January 2022, in a deal that also included the option of a 12-month extension.

Palace activated that option in 2024, meaning Mateta’s current deal is due to expire at the end of the season. But the 29-year-old is claiming the final year of his contract – the optional extra year – should be void. It is understood Mateta’s case was heard by an independent tribunal under the Premier League’s rules. While there has been no official confirmation of the outcome, it is believed Mateta’s contract remains binding.

He has since taken his argument to world football governing body Fifa, who ruled earlier this week that overruling the contract is not within its jurisdiction.

BBC Sport has approached Mateta’s representatives and Fifa for comment.

If Mateta had successfully argued his contract is void, it would possibly set the wheels in motion towards the forward becoming a free agent before the expiry of his Palace deal next year.

Mateta has become a key figure for Palace since his arrival at Selhurst Park – scoring 67 goals for the club. He played a major role in the club’s historic FA Cup and UEFA Conference League triumphs under former manager Oliver Glasner. But Mateta pushed to leave Palace in January this year and was close to joining AC Milan. However, the deal did not go through because of an issue with Mateta’s knee.

Problems pile up for Palace:

  • Ismaila Sarr was not included in the matchday squad with new manager Pierre Sage revealing he has been struggling with a groin injury. Sources have told BBC Sport that Sarr has not trained for the last two days, complaining of a groin issue, amid interest from Turkish side Galatasaray. Palace do not want to sell their star forward, who scored 21 goals in all competitions last season as the Eagles won the Community Shield and the Conference League.
  • Chadi Riad was stretchered off with a serious knee injury in the 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park. Riad has been affected by knee injuries since joining Palace in 2024.

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *